ABLE is looking for an experienced Financial Controller to join our team. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned accounting and finance professional having worked in a fast paced, retail environment. The Financial Controller will be responsible for ensuring that ABLE’s financial reporting adheres to company, regulatory and generally accepted accounting practices. This position will be responsible for establishing and maintaining effective Internal Control Systems.
The Financial Controller will report directly to the CEO. Strong analytic and organizational skills, creative problem solving and the ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment are a must. Preference will be given to candidates that have a strong understanding of POS and Inventory system controls, have vast knowledge of current accounting principles impacting E-Commerce, Brick and Mortar and Wholesale operations, and understand their impact on financial results.
Major Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Oversee accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems to ensure accuracy and compliance with GAAP standards.
- Develop operational procedures and documentation of internal controls and policies to comply with Company policy.
- Manage weekly wire/check runs and prepare detailed reconciliations, including bank accounts.
- Prepare and monitor weekly and monthly cash flow forecasting worksheet.
- Monthly Close Procedures: Work with accounting staff in performing month-end closing procedures, ensuring system interfaced postings are accurately made and summarizing and recording journal entries. Review and prepare journal entries for assigned ledger accounts.
- Account Analysis: Prepare general ledger account analysis (both Balance Sheet and Profit Loss accounts).
- Manage and participate monthly in the preparation of various financial statements and reports (i.e. Profit Loss/Balance Sheet/Cash Flow/Sales/KPI’s) for all sales channels within the Company.
- Execute Year-End Close Procedures: Coordinate with external tax preparers, prepare work papers, and review accounts, journal entries, fixed assets, and physical inventories to ensure readiness for Year-End tax reporting timelines.
- Coordinate preparation of materials for external financial reporting requests including from the Board of Directors and relevant financing institutions.
- Support Planning Department as needed in the preparation of sales forecasts.
- Partner with Company Leadership to prepare and monitor effective expense forecasting and budgeting.
- Perform bi-monthly payroll processing and prepare and enter related journal entries.
- Assist in the development and implementation of goals, policies, priorities and procedures relating to internal controls, financial management, accounting, payroll and Human Resources. Help improve timelines and accuracy of financial closing and reporting.
- Drive process improvement to support POS and Inventory systems and operational processes; trouble shoot system issues.
- Liaison with point-of-sale, accounting software, and other system vendors.
- Responsible for managing operational data and ensuring data integrity and accuracy (inventory movement, monthly operational reporting etc.)
- Lead initiatives to target continuous improvements in Financial performance.
- Management of Accounting Staff and Planning/Merchandising Personnel. Supervise and execute staff workflow. Manage the development of staff.
- Must have 6+ years of relevant experience; retail fashion experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting and financial control processes (budgeting, financial closure, reporting etc.)
- Proficient knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and regulations.
- Understanding of data analysis and forecasting.
- Working knowledge of MS Office – advanced Excel skills required.
- Professional Accounting certification, CPA or CMA a plus.
- BS/BA in accounting, finance or relevant field.
- Clear communicator with ability to interact with senior leaders.
- Mature professional with excellent judgment, interpersonal skills and ability to work independently or as part of a team.